Handwriting skills are an important developmental task and activity for kids. Through handwriting they are able to express themselves and communicate with the world around them. Improving their penmanship, legibility, pencil grasp, and working on problem areas are all important things that need addressed, whether you are a homeschool parent, teacher, therapist, or just supplementing your child's classroom activities.
I wanted to share some ways on how to improve handwriting skills with kids and have rounded up all the posts I have written on this topic here on GHOK.
How to Improve Handwriting Skills with Kids
The first step in learning about handwriting skills is to understand the importance of fine motor development and how pencil grasp develops. Here are some posts I have written on that topic:
- Typical Fine Motor Developmental Milestones for Ages 0-6 – Also comes with a free printable of each age level.
- You can also find more information on fine motor skill development.
Pencil Grasp Development
There are two types of pencil grasps that are considered efficient for handwriting; the tripod and the quadruped grasp. You can learn more about those two types of grasp below.
- Proper Pencil Grasp for Writing – Comes with a step by step developmental sequence and explanation as well as pictures of each type of grasp.
- 5 Tips for Pencil Grasp Development with Preschoolers – This is a guest post I wrote over on Learning 2 Walk about pencil grasp as well.
- 5 Fine Motor Activities to Improve Pencil Grasp – Guest post on Learning 2 Walk
- 2 Pincer Grasp Fine Motor Activities for Toddlers
Pre-Writing Skills for Toddlers and Preschoolers
Pre-writing skills are the pre-cursor to handwriting. They consist of an age appropriate sequence of lines and shapes that toddlers and preschoolers learn in order to later on form letters and numbers.
- 6 Pre-writing Activities for Preschoolers – This was a 6 week series I did on my blog with activities to encourage pre-writing lines and shapes.
- 12 Fun Ways to Practice Handwriting with Preschoolers – Hands-on ideas for practice handwriting and pre-writing skills
- 10 Hands-On Ways to Practice Pre-Writing Lines
- On The Farm Prewriting Packet
Basic Shapes for Beginners – A Hands-on Approach to Pre-writing Strokes for Kids is an ebook I wrote to get you started with pre-writing skills at home for ages 2-5. There is also a Paperback and Kindle version.
Teaching Handwriting Skills at Home
If your child is in Occupational Therapy it is important to practice the skills they are working on at home. This post discusses some ways to do that.
For homeschoolers I have a special series on my site with how to teach handwriting to your preschooler through elementary age student.
- Teaching Handwriting in Your Homeschool – Preschool
- Teaching Handwriting in Your Homeschool – Kindergarten
- Teaching Handwriting in Your Homeschool – Elementary
- How to Include Handwriting in your Tot-School & Preschool
- 10 Ways to Combine Bible and Handwriting Practice
- Ways to Teach Bible and Handwriting Practice for Preschoolers
More Handwriting Resources
I also have a Pinterest board dedicated to Handwriting Skills and Activities that you can follow for more ideas.
And be sure to pin this post or bookmark it and check back for more posts that are added as I write them.