For my daughter's first birthday party a couple weeks ago, I decided to make her a sugarless cake with vegan icing as well. At this point she had not had any dairy and I didn't feel comfortable with her having any yet. She has since tried organic whole milk yogurt and loves it! Thankfully no reactions to the yogurt so far. My brother and I both had dairy intolerances growing up, so I have put off a lot of dairy foods with her.
My sister in-law found this recipe for me and then I browsed the internet to find inspiration for a vegan icing. Just a little warning here, the icing is runnier than normal icing so it ends up more like glaze than an icing. Also because I used whole wheat flour, the cake is a little more dense than regular cake so she really didn't get to smash it per say. But it was good and she seemed to like it either way.
I cut off the top of the cake once it was cooled so that it was a little more flat and looked a little bit more like a cake for the party. You can see that the icing is runny, but it gave just enough sweetness and wasn't too over powering. My daughter did not get a sugar buzz at all from eating any of this!
This post is part of a series on Tips and Tricks to Throwing a Girl's Puppy Dog Birthday Party:
It's time for the Good Tastes Tuesday Recipe Link Party! But first here is the featured recipe from last week's party!
If your recipe was featured, feel free to grab the button below and link back to this post!
- Link up as many recipes as you want, new or old.
- Please link directly to your recipes, not to your main blog page. All links that do not follow this will be deleted.
- Grab the link party button or link back to this party to spread the word! The more the merrier!
- Browse the other recipes and be sure to tell them you came by from the Good Tastes Tuesday Recipe Link Party! (The recipe with the most views will be featured in next week’s party!!)
- By linking up and including a picture, you agree to allow GRB to use your pictures and links in a future feature recipe posts like this one. Your photo may also be used for promotion on all social media outlets of this blog with the corresponding link # given of your entry.
Can't wait to see what you've been cooking this week!