We are continuing on wth this toolkit series today to include a scissor and cutting practice toolkit. Scissor skills and cutting activities involve using fine motor and visual motor skills plus bilateral coordination. All of these things are important for future reading, writing, and math skills.
Items for the Scissor and Cutting Practice Toolkit
You can certainly add more than what is on this list. I just went around my house and grabbed what I had.
- Safety scissors (I like the ones from Fundanoodle)
- Child size regular scissors
- Adaptive scissors (I included 3 kinds, Mini Easy Grip, School Smart Blunt Training Scissors, and Preschool training scissors)
- Play dough scissors
- Gift paper cutter (I used this as an adaptive cutter with many kids and it works beautifully!)
- Cutting strips (You can make your own or check out my Scissor Practice Packet)
- Yellow, red, and black highlighter (helpful for making lines to cut or highlighting lines to make them easier to see)
- Construction paper
- Straws (cutting straws for necklaces or sorting colors)
- Foamboard sheets
- Paint strips
- Bubble tongs
- Play dough
- Modeling clay
- Notecards or index cards (perfect size for little hands to cut)
- Clothespin ring game
My 4-year-old was immediately drawn to this toolkit when she saw me putting it together and asked to use some of the items as soon as I was done taking pictures. She really enjoyed using the paint strips for cutting practice.
A great cutting practice book you could add to this kit is the I Can Cut Activity Book from Fundanoodle. It also includes a pair of safety scissors that only cut paper and are designed for left and right-handed users.
Scissor & Cutting Practice Toolkit Printable List
If you would like a printable list of all the items I included in this toolkit, simply enter your e-mail address below and click to subscribe to get the list. Once you confirm your subscription in an e-mail, your download will automatically go to your computer.
Also, don't forget to check out my scissor practice packet if you'd like to find some more cutting practice sheets.
You can find more ideas like this one below.
You May Also Like: